You must have always wondered why some people are left-handed. There is no exact answer to this mystery but some medical experts believe that there is a relation between genes and environment which leads to the occurrence of this. Now, don’t get me wrong because there are no genes as such that makes you left-handed. It is just that there is a pattern or history of there being left-handed people in a family.
Experts also claim to have found that the brain wirings of lefties and righties are actually quite different.
Here are some facts which you should know about left-handed people:
1. 5-10% of the population in the world is left handed.
2. There is a three times more chance of left handed people to become alcoholics.
3. They use right side of the brain because right side actually controls the functions of the left side of the body and vice-versa.
4. Their age of reaching puberty is delayed by 5 months than the normal age period.
5. They are good at sports like baseball, tennis; swimming, boxing, etc. 40% of the world-class tennis players are left-handed.
6. Four, out of the seven, recent United States presidents were left handed.
7. People like Osama Bin Laden, The Boston Strangles and Jack the Ripper were all left handed people. Keep an eye on your left handed friend from now on!
8. Left handed has also been associated with negative qualities like the mark of the devil, sign of neurosis and criminality. On the positive note, it is also a sign of creativity and musicality.
9. The English word “left” comes from the Anglo-Saxon word “lyft” which means weak or broken.
10. Women giving birth in their 40s are more likely to have left handed babies than those in their 20s.
11. In the animal kingdom, cats, rats and mice are equally split between right and left pawedness.
12. Left handed people are more talented in spatial awareness, math and architecture while right handed people have more verbal talents.
13. 1/4 Apollo astronauts was left handed if you didn’t know.
14. Almost 30 million people in the United States are left handed according to a recent statistical report.
15. Left handed people are more prone to diseases like asthma and allergies.
16. There is also a theory that if left handed people injure their hand, they can learn to use the right hand much easily than right handed people trying to use the left hand.
17. The longest words that can be typed using the left hand are sweater, dresses and tesserae decades.
18. Being a lefty is a family thing. Even the British royal family includes lefties like Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William.
19. Left handed people are more susceptible to suffer from insomnia.
20. August 13th is known as the International Left-Handers Day. They have a day to themselves! It seems correct because every day is the day for the righties anyway.
7. A statistics report showed that left handed people tend to become 25-26% richer than the righties of the world.
22. Left handed people can adjust better when it comes to seeing underwater than the righties. A definite advantage in games like Marco Polo!
23. A study, published in the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, conjectures how left handed people process emotions differently. So they might get angry faster than the right handed people.
I am sure you are amazed by these facts. If you have any more interesting facts, then do share with us in the comments!
If you’re a leftie please SHARE this article with your Friends and Family!