Keeping an eye on our little ones is of utmost importance, especially important when they are young and cannot express themselves as adults. This particular story is a pure example of it concerning a family in the U.S.
Kristine Donovan noticed on the back of her daughter Kailyn’s knee a small, bluish-purple mark.
At first glance, she thought it’s nothing to worry about. It’s not out of the ordinary for a child to fall or get bruised while they’re playing somewhere. Five-year-old Kailyn is often out in the yard, so Kristine assumed she’d maybe scratched herself somewhere.
Kailyn’s parents kept an eye on the bruise and it’s very fortunate that they did because it wasn’t long before the worrisome bruise turned black.
It transpired that the little girl had been bitten by one of the most venomous spiders in the world.
“She never felt it bite her,” a surprised Donovan told CBS Boston.
“It could have been in her jeans in the location where it bit her, we just don’t know.”
Call from school
Kristine was not aware of the danger her daughter’s in and she decided to send her to school few days after she noticed the bruise. Kailyn didn’t show any symptoms that her mother should worry about.
When the phone rang during the day, the school told Kristine that her daughter had fever. Kristine started to worry that something is up with that bruise. She drove her to the hospital immediately. With the mark turning dark black, they knew that the problems is more serious than they imagined.
Doctors made quick diagnosis and concluded that her daughter has been bitten by one of the most poisonous spiders in the world, one straight out of a horror movie, a black widow. The spider’s venom is 15 times more potent than that of a rattlesnake, so you can only imagine.
“She had a very distinctive bite, which was very scary for her parents and of course the doctors, too,” Dr. William Durbin, pediatric infectious diseases specialist at UMass Memorial Medical Center said.
According to CBS, as many as 2,000 people fall victim to black widow bites every year in the United States, though it’s very uncommon for those bites to turn into casualties.
Kristine and her husband are aiming to get the story spread to as many people as possible, in the hopes that other parents will see the potential danger of a spider bite and seek medical attention as soon as possible.
We should always trust our gut when it comes to our children and potential sicknesses or injuries. We’re thankful Kailyn’s case ended up positively, but it could’ve been far worse if her parents didn’t react…
Watch the video below:
Help us get the message out by sharing this article with your Friends and Family so we can spread the awareness to more people!