UPDATE: Alec Baldwin, the actor, has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the shooting death of Halyna Hutchins by a grand jury in New Mexico.
Baldwin has been charged with involuntary manslaughter twice; the first time was in January 2023, and the second time is now. But the charges were dropped at first in April.
Baldwin could spend 18 months in jail if he is found guilty. “We look forward to our day in court,” Baldwin’s lawyers said in a Friday statement.
NBC News got a hold of a new video that shows Alec Baldwin’s behavior on the set of Rust. The vids also show Baldwin on set with fake guns.
Baldwin is seen being careful and careful on set in the clips. She also worries about the safety of other crew members, even when prop guns are being used.
NBC News said on TikTok, “A series of videos exclusively obtained by NBC News shows Alec Baldwin handling a prop gun and interacting with crew members while filming scenes for ‘Rust.’ The footage was taken days before Baldwin’s prop gun fired a live round of ammunition on set, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.”
@nbcnews A series of videos exclusively obtained by NBC News show #AlecBaldwin handling a prop gun and interacting with crew members while filming scenes for '#Rust.' The footage was taken days before Baldwin's prop gun fired a live round of ammunition on set, killing cinematographer #HalynaHutchins ♬ original sound – nbcnews
We can’t say that Alec Baldwin is safe. The actor, who is 65 years old, could be charged again with involuntary manslaughter in connection with Halyna Hutchins’ death in October 2021.
This comes almost six months after his first charges were dropped. First to report on what the New Mexico officials planned to do was NBC News.
Their sources say that Baldwin’s case will be heard by a grand jury around the middle of November. It was said that Baldwin’s charge could be dropped to a minor offense under “recent discussions of a plea deal.” However, that deal was canceled over the weekend, and those talks have stopped.
@skynews A police interview shows the moment #AlecBaldwin reacts as he is told that cinematographer #HalynaHutchins has died after being shot by a gun he was holding on the set of #Rust ♬ original sound – Sky News
Some people may not remember that Hutchins died when a fake gun that Baldwin was given accidentally went off with real bullets in it.
Since Hutchins’ death, there has been a lot of talk online and in court about who is to blame. Baldwin has not been found guilty as of today.
“It is unfortunate that a terrible tragedy has been turned into this misguided prosecution. “We will answer any charges in court,” Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro – two of Baldwin’s lawyers – wrote in a statement. Alec Baldwin could spend up to 18 months in jail if he is found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.
NBC News also says that prosecutors found “new evidence that they believe connects Baldwin to recklessness around safety standards on the set.” This means that they are not sure if the gun was changed in any way before the shooting. A grand jury is now in charge of Baldwin’s case.
MamasUncut reported that Baldwin’s charges were ‘being dismissed without prejudice.’ This meant that new charges could be brought if new proof was found. Even though it hasn’t happened yet, it looks like we’re going that way.
Of course, Alec isn’t the only one who is being charged with Hutchins’ death. Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who played the armorer in the movie, is also being charged with killing without consent. Her trial is set for February 21, 2024. David Halls, who was the assistant director of the movie, agreed to a plea deal earlier this year.Copy
Alec Baldwin Could Face First Legal Defeat in Nearly a Year
Alec Baldwin would lose his first big court case in almost a year if he were charged with involuntary manslaughter again. However, it wouldn’t be the end of the world.
Being charged with a crime and being found guilty of a crime are not the same thing. Just because you’re charged doesn’t mean you’ll be found guilty.
However, this news comes after Baldwin and his team won a number of court cases.
In February, his criminal charges were officially dropped when the five-year mandatory firearm enhancement was taken away. This was because the rule that made it mandatory didn’t exist when the shooting happened in October 2021.
Special prosecutor Andrea Reeb quit Baldwin’s case, and Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis took over.
Prosecutors say they are ready to present new evidence and file new charges against Alec Baldwin in the 2021 shooting death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of the movie “Rust.” https://t.co/UrCOBv85jP pic.twitter.com/wyDfGVtJED— CBS Mornings (@CBSMornings) October 18, 2023
This was another court win for his team. People thought that Reeb’s role in the case was “unconstitutional” because she is a New Mexico House of Representatives member.
Alec Baldwin got yet another win in April when Morrissey and Lewis dropped his charges. However, it looks like that breath of fresh air will soon be over. If new charges are brought against him, he will have to go through the trial process all over again, where he will probably be found not guilty.
- Cori Broadus, Snoop Dogg’s Daughter, Says She Had A “Severe Stroke”
- Doctor Says Kate Middleton May Not Be Able To “Move Around Normally” For Months After Surgery
Please SHARE this article with Family and Friends!