In his early thirties, Alan Watts (January 6, 1915–November 16, 1973) walked away from a career as an Episcopal priest and set out to popularize Zen teachings in the West. His singular fusion of secular philosophy and Eastern spirituality guided, and continues to guide, the openhearted and open-minded toward figuring out how to live with presence,make sense of reality, master the art of timing, and become who we really are.
Overall Alan Watts developed an extensive audio library of nearly 400 talks and wrote more than 25 books during his lifetime, including his final volume, Tao; the Watercourse Way. Alan died in his sleep in November of 1973 after returning from an intensive international lecture tour.
What did not die were his teachings and lessons through his extraordinary life made to teach us the path of spirituality in a whole different scales and levels.
Here are some quotes from Alan Watts:
1. No valid plans for the future can be made by those who have no capacity for living now.
2. To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don’t grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float.
3. Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.
4. The reason we have poverty is that we have no imagination. There are a great many people accumulating what they think is vast wealth, but it’s only money… they don’t know how to enjoy it, because they have no imagination.
5. Technology is destructive only in the hands of people who do not realize that they are one and the same process as the universe.
Alan Watts Story of the Chinese Farmer
The story bellow describes it beautifully. Every action comes with a consequence, no matter if that consequence is good or bad.
“The whole process of nature is an integrated process of immense complexity and it is really impossible to tell whether anything that happens in it is good or bad because you never know what will be the consequences of the “misfortune” or you never know what will be the consequences of “good” fortune” says Alan Watts in the video.
Support the creation of more videos like this: https://www.patreon.com/sustainablehuman/
Posted by Sustainable Human on Sunday, April 15, 2018