Confucius was a Chinese Philosopher, teacher, a politician and the founder of Confucianism. He is considered the most influential Eastern philosopher.
His philosophy was based on personal and governmental morality. Importance of a virtuous life, filial piety and ancestor worship were the focus of his emphasis.
His school of thought encompassed necessity for the correctness of social relationships, justice and sincerity. He highlighted the need for benevolent and frugal leaders. He believed in and taught about the presence of inner moral harmony and how it directly connects with the harmony in the physical world.
Today, his influence doesn’t only influence China but others around the globe as well.
Here is a collection of 20 Confucius quotes which will enlighten your mind and soul, allowing you to change your life for the better.
1. When it is obvious that goals cannot be reached, don’t adjust the goals, but adjust the action steps.
2. Give instructions only to those people who seek knowledge after they have discovered their ignorance.
3. If you hate a person, then you’re defeated by them.
4. It is easy to hate and difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve, and bad things are very easy to get.
5. Respect yourself and others will respect you.
6. The man who says he can and the man who says he can’t are both correct.
7. By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
8. Looking at small advantages prevents great affairs from being accomplished.
9. It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
10. When anger rises, think of the consequences.
11. The more man meditates upon good thoughts, the better will be his world and the world at large.
12. The superior man is modest in his speech but exceeds in his actions.
13. To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue; these five are gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.
You will also like reading: 27 Eye-Opening Japanese Proverbs That Will Teach You To Trust Yourself
14. The expectations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.
15. What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others.
16. Never form a friendship with a man who is not better than you.
17. Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
18. If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people.
19. If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself.
Of course, you can’t follow these advice and lessons altogether. Work on one and then move towards the other. If possible, follow a couple of them along with each other.
Whatever you do, if you follow his teachings, you will definitely find yourself in a better position. Your life will seem a lot better and satisfactory.
Who was Confucius by TED-ed:
Image source: Wikimedia