Once you learn these 9 Life Lessons from Mark Twain, you’ll live a Kick-Ass Life
These quotes from Mark Twain, a 19th century American writer, will provide you with amazing life lessons.
1. “A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.”
This simply means that we have to be ourselves for as long as we live. We should not look at others for approval and should first search our soul for it. Stop worrying about what others will say or think! You will never find true joy unless you free from the thought of “what will they think if I do this.”
2. “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
Age is definitely a number. If you really want to achieve something then it cannot stop you. The trick is to believe in yourself and give your best shot! This becomes very helpful once you get older, and it stays true for any age.
3. “Humor is mankind’s greatest blessing.”
Laughter is definitely the best medicine which is free and can be universally understood. It’s even scientifically proven!
So allow yourself to relax a bit and find some moments of humor in life which will make it worth living.
4. “Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.”
Anger is something that corrodes us from the inside. It makes us hollow and negative. The best thing is it let go and save yourself from all the negativity. Being angry doesn’t really help anyone; rather it ruins relationships with loved ones. Anger will only punish yourself, you don’t need that poison.
Must-Read: You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
5. “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing, it was here first.”
Human beings suffer from this sense of entitlement that we have since birth. We think that the world owes us something that we are entitled to have it all that the world can offer. This is merely an illusion because we need to work hard to get what we really desire.
If you really think life is fair, you are wrong. Unless you have the ‘guts’ to face that life is not fair and won’t give you anything unless you work for it, you will never ever get it. Do things because you think they are right, not what people think it’s right, and life will give you the biggest reward.
6. “A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.”
People don’t really welcome change with open arms. Every new idea was once scorned and rejected by the masses till it changed the world itself. The meaning is that you must prove your idea to be feasible through action. Many people have ideas, but very few put them in reality. Don’t be from the many, be from the few.
7. “Drag your thoughts away from your troubles… by the ears, by the heels, or any other way you can manage it.”
Worrying hasn’t helped anyone achieve anything. So what’s the point of spending time on it unnecessarily? Pull yourself away from troubling thoughts in order to move forward in life.
8. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.”
If you are feeling down or low, try to cheer others around you because seeing them happy will instantly make you happy. You will feel positive about yourself and they will also feel better. It is mutually benefitting.
9. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
This one is really simple. Do what you want to do in life before the time runs out. Living with regrets is really difficult and you don’t want to torment yourself with the thoughts of the things you didn’t do because you were too scared. Live your life like never before!
Start a Better Life Right Now by Reading:
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
Image source: Wikimedia/A.F. Bradley, New York